River Gambia route: Guinea-Senegal-The Gambia
1 River, 2 Borders, 3 Countries
Would you like an exclusive River Gambia 2012 Expedition Limited Edition Print from award-winning photographer Jason Florio?
As with our previous expedition (‘A Short Walk in the Gambian Bush – a 930km African odyssey’), we will be covering our own personal expenses for this expedition. However, what we really need help with is to raise funds for on-the-ground expenses. Our target is: *$11,000 USD – GBP: £7,200. Please click onto our ‘How to Donate’ page for full information on how your donation could get you one of Jason Florio’s, Limited Edition Expedition Prints and a photo of your name/website on a banner from West Africa… ‘How to Donate’
But, just to give you a taster of the ‘big’ things we need to help us along – and to reduce our target amount that we need to raise – leaving more in the pot for our chosen charity, Gardens for Life We’ll be setting up a separate donation page for this, once we have reached the amount we need to make the expedition happen:
- Employment, food, and accommodation for two local River Gambia boatmen, plus guides and fixers in each of the other two countries – for the duration of 2-3 months
- *2 x canoe’s – which, on completion of the expedition, will be donated to a local Gambian charity: Makasutu Wildlife Trust (these are on our Wish List – please see below for details on what we need)
- *2 x Return tickets: London-Banjul, The Gambia – we will then travel by road, with the canoe’s, to Guinea, and the source of the River Gambia. (these are on our Wish List too! Please see below) – DONATED! THANK YOU ‘THE GAMBIA EXPERIENCE’/'SERENITY HOLIDAYS’/'THE SENEGAL EXPERIENCE’
- *1 x Panasonic Toughbook™ laptop CF 52 or 53 Performance Model & battery pack (or equivalent – needs to be durable, shock-protected, waterproof – please see Wish List)
- *Global Tracking Device – i.e. Yellow Brick 3™ (or equivalent – please see Wish List)
- *4 x EpiPen™ (epinephrine auto-injector – please see Wish List)
*If we can persuade a few companies to donate some of the essential items from our Wish List, this will bring our target amount down quite considerably – which means we won’t have to raise the full $11,000/£7,200
Our Wish List
For anyone/company who kindly wishes to donate, or offer discount on purchases, for the following, this will help to bring our target amount down. Your name or company/logo/wesbite link will appear in our ‘thanks’ section on the blog – and all our other social media sites (FB/Twitter/Tumblr). We will also take a photo of your name/website – when we are on the River Gambia Expedition – which will also be posted onto the blog and all other social media sites.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for our full Product Sponsorship pdf.
Here’s what we are wishing for:
2 x 16-17ft folding canoes – ‘Ally’ 16 1/2ft folding canoe – or PakBoats™ ‘PakCanoe’ 170 folding canoe
2 x London-Banjul (The Gambia) return flights – DONATED – thanks to Gambia Experience/Serenity Holidays, UK!
1 x Panasonic Toughbook™ laptop CF 52 or 53 Performance Model & battery pack (or equivalent – needs to be durable, shock-protected, waterproof)
1 x Solar Gorilla Extreme™ – solar charging panel and battery
1 x Satellite Phone
1 x Global Tracking Device – i.e. Yellow Brick 3™ or The Spot™ or DeLorme ‘inReach™’
2 x Pelican™ Cases- TBC
1 x Two-man tent
2 x Mosquito net hammocks
2 x ActionPacker™ Cargo Boxes (or equivalent)
1 x SteriPEN™ – DONATED from SteriPEN with thanks!
4 x EpiPen™ (epinephrine auto-injector) TBC
4 x LED Head Torches – TBC
2 x Large Dry bags - DONATED WITH THANKS! Overboard.co.uk
2 x Medium Dry bags - DONATED WITH THANKS! OverBoard.co.uk
2012 Sponsors & Collaborations – to-date
Please visit our ‘How to Donate & Wish List’ page for updated sponsors list
2009 Sponsors and Collaborators included:
The Eden Project, Cornwall
Gambia Experience/Serenity Holidays
DPx Gear™ (Robert Young Pelton – ‘The Worlds Most Dangerous Places’)
Sandele eco Retreat
Mandina River Lodges
Gambia Tourism Authority
Gambia TV & Radio